.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Wahttehhog Organization

Monday, May 28, 2007

Mac Pro

So I've been using this beast for a week now, and have I got a ton to report!

First of all, this machine is BLAZING fast. It takes literally 2 minutes to render an entire sequence that would have taken my poor 800Mhz PowerBook hours to process. Also, I've noticed that a few more format options have become available in FCP 5.1 (the Universal binary). For example, I can easily work with uncompressed 1080p video files.

Speaking of HD video, I downloaded three HD trailers from Apple's Quicktime gallery, and played them at the same time. I expected the system to bog down a bit, so I opened up Activity Monitor while I played the streams. While all three HD videos were playing, Activity Monitor showed only 68% of the processor being used.
_____

Now that I've talked of all the good news...

This machine crashes, a lot. It has crashed at least once a day for the last week. I believe I know what the problem is, yet it has slowed down my FCP projects (some of which are school assignments) BIG time.

I have reason to believe that the issue is:
- Running my completely legal version of Final Cut Pro.
- Boot Camp, which I installed the second day. I haven't installed Windows yet though.
- An 80GB SATA drive I installed the first day, which gives me some crap in Disk Utils.
- I'm just too retarded, and am overburdening the system when I try to run to run 8 streams of video, FCP, GarageBand, iTunes, Parallels Desktop, BitTorrent, Firefox, LiveType, and CoD 2 all at the same time while backing up 120GB worth of data.
_____

Pwnage:

13 Comments:

  • It's the drive, the other shit wouldn't do it.

    By Blogger mattyg, at 11:51 AM  

  • and how did you afford it?

    By Blogger mattyg, at 11:52 AM  

  • I didn't. My father legally owns it.

    But come on... who do you think will really be using it the most and to its fullest potential?

    By Blogger Matt, at 12:32 PM  

  • Yeah I'm pretty sure its the drive too.

    By Blogger Matt, at 12:34 PM  

  • hello this is evan, nice comp. you could wipe out a third world country with that thing. o yeah and i have the halo 3 beta,,,it OWNS ABSOLUTE RYAN COCK

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:13 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:37 PM  

  • ^^WTF AgAiN! My fRiKiN USERNAME!!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:38 PM  

  • What about me?

    By Blogger Marquis de Suave, at 10:40 PM  

  • evan your a feckin loser >_<

    By Blogger [wthg}jondrunken master, at 10:51 PM  

  • so Im jonesan to get the next episode underway

    By Blogger [wthg}jondrunken master, at 10:53 PM  

  • Yeah I'm ready to get going on the next episode. I'll be free once summer hits.

    By Blogger Matt, at 8:05 AM  

  • That is a moniter!

    By Blogger mattyg, at 4:01 PM  

  • Yeah, that 22" BenQ cost all of $279 after rebate. Too cheap to be true.

    Its a pretty badass screen, considering the price. Native resolution is 1680 x 1050 and the color could not be more accurate. It is one beautiful display for progressive HD.

    By Blogger Matt, at 8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home